All-dielectric self-supporting (ADSS) fiber cables provide advantages over strand and lash fiber networks for electric utility applications in many cases. Some of these advantages to ADSS cables include:
- No metallic components – can install in supply space and grounding is not required
- Little to no “make ready” cost
- Lower hardware costs
- Speed and ease of installation
- Minimal long term maintenance
- Longer expected design life
In most scenarios, these advantages lead to a lower total cost for the electric utility. This paper will further explore some of the advantages of using ADSS cable as opposed to a strand and lash fiber cable for aerial electric utility applications.